Baby Le Xin

Monday 21 October 2013

Reinforcing Capital and Small Letters

Remember my post on Phonics where I shared about how I introduced letter shapes and sounds to Le Xin? 

Here's a simple activity I did with her just to reinforce the concept of recognizing upper and lower case...

Essentially, these are the materials we need!

Wow what's in there?

Small letter "x"

Match it to the big one!

Mummy is this "b" or "d"? asked Le Xin

Small pieces of blue tack were placed at the side for her to attach to the mini letter cards...

I think I found another one....

No peeping said MummyT2X

I want to see what's the card inside said Le Xin

Le Xin took some time to locate letter "R", it appeared that she has forgotten the letter shape of capital "R".

Okay I will not look into the bag said Le Xin as she tilted her head...

Alright the last one....

Hooray, I am done!

This learning experience has boosted Le Xin's confidence in recognising letters. When she was matching the small letters to the capital letters, she was making connections between the letters. For example, she realised that both the capital and small letters have they same sounds but they look differently and I also told her they are used differently - Capital letters are usually used at a start of a sentence or when it is the name of a person or a place. I did not mention proper nouns as I think that's too difficult for her to understand.

So how did I go about creating this learning material for her?  \

Firstly, I browsed through catalogue on children's toy and I found this...

Letter Puzzle.... 

With that, I created a simple capital letter chart with different colours for each font (just to make it looks more interesting) and created mini letter cards for her to match. Notice the small letters were black? Ideally, I think it should be because I feel that having too many colours might be over stimulating and confusing for young children. Since the capital letters were colourful, I prefer to use black for the small letters....

 It's take a lot of patience for a child to complete the chart because it can become quite boring after some time so do not repeat this activity until the child lose interest in it. For me, I introduced it to Le Xin once and placed it on her discovery table once in 12 weeks. I hope you find this learning experience a useful reference to you and you can try it at home too for reinforcement purposes...

Leaving you with a video of Le Xin @ work :p



No comments:

Post a Comment