Baby Le Xin

Sunday 23 September 2012

Fun with Cornstarch and Water Goo

I have been wanting to engage Le Xin in this learning experience for the longest time, if you read on you will know why. This is probably one of the best sensorial activity we had so far and yes it was really fun indeed. I first knew about making goo from one of my ex-collegue's facebook post, I think she got her daughter to make some blushish goo, I was quite curious to find out what it was but somehow I didn't ask her about it. Yesterday, I watched Xiaxue's Guide to Life and im that episode, it featured her engaging in different Science experiments...the last activity she did was forming a mixture using cornstarch and water and it seemed quite fun so this morning I decided to try it with Le Xin!
 
Le Xin waiting anxiously to start....
 
She slowly used a white teaspoon to scoop the cornflour into the measuring cup
 
Then she swapped and used her right hand to put the cornflour into the measuring cup, she had to do it slowly to prevent spillage
 
Le Xin looking very satisfied.....well done my darling girl!
 
Le Xin covered the bottle after she has finished using the cornflour
 
Le Xin poured the cornflour that she measured into a mixing bowl
 
Next she added the water in!
 
Alright put your hand into the mixture and stir it suggested Mummy but Le Xin appeared to be a little scared...she hesitated for a while before lowering her hand into the mixture
 
Haha she tried pressing the mixture with her palm which reminds me of an advert from SK2 many years ago :p
 
Ohh why is the flour stuck onto my fingers now....
 
Eh.....maybe I can rub it off...
 
Wow! It becomes a small piece of dough......
 
Le Xin took a closer look at the mixture on her fingers...
 
What happen if I try to dig the mixture?
 
The consistency of the mixture is something fun for Le Xin to explore....
 
Le Xin scratched off a piece of dough that was stuck onto her finger....
 
Then Le Xin went on to roll her hands to find out if the mixture will drip down from her fingers and palm...
 
Then she began tapping the mixture with her fingers up and down  and she simply enjoyed doing that....
 
So much so that she couldn't stop laughing at herself whahahaha!
 
Now I finally understood the true meaning of ACTIVE ENGAGEMENT......look at the joy on her face!!!!
 
Le Xin repeated this action so many times and  now that I am blogging about this photo....I couldn't stop laughing .....she really looked as if she was praising God yeah?
 
Le Xin guess what? Your smile is infectious......anyone who sees you laughing will laugh together with you....if you are reading this do you agree?
 
Phew....finally she became tired and decided to take a break from all the laughing.....
 
Le Xin asked for more flour to be placed inside the mixing bowl and she continued stirring with her her fingers.....
 
Testing the consistency....where is your baker's hat Le Xin?
 
After much stirring.....finally the goo appeared!
 
How can the texture of the goo be described using words.......The feeling was so magical.....it flowed like a sticky liquid yet it felt like a dough......wow both Le Xin and I were totally intrigued with the experience of exploring the goo......Yes we practically can't stop playing with it!
 
Here's Le Xin trying to balance a goo ball on her wrist....Good Effort!
 
Her body including her hair and yes the door, the ground, the table and everywhere was filled with the mixture.....This messy play which equates to a massive cleaning up which we had to do later was really worth the effort!.....and that was because of all the tremendous fun we had right?
 
Le Xin tried to removed some of the goo from her body but she couldn't........so she decided to be a....
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V
A Goo monster! whahahaha and she started chasing me around!
 
Don't run I am a friendly goo monster... Imagine this... I was trying to snap her photo while running away from her.......
 
Come on hug me...you know I feel quite good right?
 
I thought you always like to ask me for big squeeze and big cuddle? So why are you running away from me?
Mummy: No no no....Not when you have sooooo much goo on you :p
 
Le Xin gave me a poorthing look and said Mummy carry me! That's it! I have to raise my white flag! I GIVE UP! You are just too cute.....I carried her and together we head on to the toilet to wash up and we washed the table that we used for the experiment which was filled with goo and flour too :p
 
This post is a very detailed observation on Le Xin's learning experience. To me documenting the process is quite a complex exercise because the procedures was based on what Le Xin did and not what I initiated...As I document this, I view what I wrote as a great tool for me to gain knowledge about her learning...It's precious to me as because it helps me to improve understanding...giving meaning to what I have done WITH her! It's not just about observing and treating this learning as a mere sensorial experience which I had provided her.....but deep down I hope that I could seriously think about learning how to learn....I hope to generate more approaches and strategies to help me come up with more concrete ideas on what to offer Le Xin the next round.....Alright leaving you guys with some videos which I took, hope you enjoy reading :)
 








No comments:

Post a Comment