Baby Le Xin

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Learning how to recognise number 1 to 10 in Mandarin!

Le Xin's Mandarin teacher was beginning to teach her how to recognise number 1 to 10 ( 一到十)  in school...

Back at home, I use flashcards to teach her to recognise those numbers....

As an reinforcement, I have decided to create an apple tree with the numbers on the apples...

Best of all, I've asked Le Xin to make the tree with me so that she is involved in the project!

Can I start now? asked Le Xin

Squeezing green paint on a plastic plate...

Painting the tree...

Painting the trunk....

Painting the grass....

Painting the flower....

Little hand @ work...

Another flower....

Waiting for the paint to dry....

I helped to display the tree and Le Xin displayed the apples with the Chinese numbers on them...

Done!

这是一 said Le Xin as she pointed to the apple that has the word 一 (number 1) on it...

Most of the time, I try my best to teach Le Xin how to say certain words in Mandarin and recognise some simple Chinese words. I started off with showing her basic strokes (笔画) and went on to use flashcards to teach her some high frequency words that she will often get to see in her Chinese readers. 

The challenging part is that Le Xin usually prefers to speak in English. No matter how hard I try to converse with her in Mandarin, most of the time she will reply me in English. However, she could perfectly understand what I am trying to tell her so I think that's good enough.

I hope  learning experiences such as the one above which I have exposed her will help to spark her interest in learning Mandarin. She really kind of enjoys putting the apples on the tree and saying the numbers out loud as she does that...I displayed the 号码苹果树 (number apple tree) on the wall for a few weeks before I took it down! 

Ending this post with Le Xin's cute video of her learning to recognise the numbers!


How do you help your child to learn his/her Mother Tongue?

For me, it's always about coming up with interesting ideas that will encourage her to participate....

No comments:

Post a Comment