Baby Le Xin

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Dancing Raisins

I know Raisins might not be the most healthy treats for children but I think they are better than candies and chocolates right? Le Xin loves raisins very much and sometimes I use them as part of my reward system with her haha :)

Today, I gonna share with you how I use raisins in a Science experiment I did with her. Many of you should have heard of this experiment. For us, we call it "Dancing Raisins"

Let's check it out....

Le Xin all ready to start - Raisins, soda drink, a plastic cup for tasting and a glass for the experiment...

Picking up a raisin from the box with her tiny fingers

Dropping it into a small container...

Can I have two more?

Feeling the coldness of the can

Taking a sip of the soda drink

It's not nice, I don't like said Le Xin

Alright time to pour out the soda into a glass.....

Le Xin observing the soda drink and she said Mummy look I can see a lot of bubbles

Dropping a raisin into the glass....

Le Xin tilted her head to observe and she said Why nothing happen....

She waited a while more and gave me a sweetest look....

Wow finally the raisins began to dance....

Any left?

Let's pour a little more soda in....

One of the raisins doing the dance....

Hey I want to catch it said Le Xin excitedly. We continued to observe till the raisins are not floating anymore....

The theory behind this experiment is that raisins are denser than liquid in soda. So initially, when you drop them in, they sink to the bottom of the glass. As the soda releases carbon dioxide bubbles, these bubbles stick to the rough surface of the raisins causing them to be lifted due to the increase in buoyancy. When the raisins reach to the surface, the bubbles pop thus the carbon dioxide escapes into the air. This rising and sinking of the raisins continues until most of the carbon dioxide has escaped, and the soda goes flat. The raisins will eventually get too soggy and become too heavy to rise to the surface.

Do you love this experiment too? Children are thrilled just to see the raisins going up and down. The excitement in them often leads to investigation and discovery.

 How do you nurture your child to be a Little Einstein? 

No comments:

Post a Comment